New Yorkers struggled to stay warm during Tuesday’s polar blast — but the cold hard reality is that there are right ways and wrong ways to get comfort.
“Less conventional means to stay warm can lead to fire or other dangers,” says FDNY press officer Elisheva Zakheim.
The FDNY’s top tip: Always have a working smoke and carbon-monoxide alarm in your home. And be smart when it comes to the following appliances and household items:
“Space heaters need space,” New York’s Bravest tweeted recently.
These appliances should be used for short periods and placed at least three feet from combustible objects, bedding and furniture. Never use an extension cord with a space heater, notes the FDNY.
In the hit film “Carol,” Rooney Mara’s character lights her oven to heat her apartment. Another bad idea.
“Never attempt to warm your home using your gas oven, range, or fireplace,” says the FDNY. It can lead to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
“If you use a fireplace for warmth or as a seasonal decoration, keep a glass or metal screen in front of openings to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out, and never burn charcoal indoors,” says the FDNY.
Житель США скончался после тяжелой респираторной болезни от вейпинга
They’re made for coziness and comfort, but these warmer-uppers come with hazards. “If it produces heat it can potentially light a fire,” says Zakheim.
Replace electric blankets more than 10 years old or ones with broken or frayed cords. Never place an electric blanket on a baby, small child or someone who cannot turn off the blanket or remove it on their own.
Where there’s an open flame, there’s a mishap waiting to happen. Candle fires have triples in the past ten years, according to city figures. More than a third of candle fires happened when candles were left unattended.